If you’re interested in a career as a professional investigator in Alberta, you’ve come to the right place.
As per the Security Services and Investigator’s Act, obtaining a license is mandatory for investigative positions in the province. Our comprehensive Professional Investigator’s Training Course includes nine modules designed to provide you the knowledge and skills to excel as a professional investigator. With higher exam success rates compared to the provincial average, we ensure that you are well-prepared to pass the provincial exam and secure your license.
As a certified proctoring site, you can conveniently write your provincial exam at Columbia College or choose from over 70 sites across Alberta.
To enroll in the course, individuals much meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years old
- Fluent in speaking English (Level 5 Canadian Language Benchmark)
- Of good character
- No serious criminal convictions that have not been pardoned
Take 1 passport-sized photo and two pieces of government issued identification to the police service.
Have a member of the police service, peace office, or commissioner of oaths employed by the police service sign the back of your photo.
- Request an employment Police Information Check (PIC) to include
- Vulnerable Sector
- Local database
- Do not submit your application until you have received your final documents or are informed by the police service that the documents will be sent directly to the Ministry.
- Complete all sections of the application form (must be neat and readable) using a computer or print using CAPITAL letters only.
- Sign both part 5 and part 6 (police do not sign your application).
- Photocopy both sides of your government issued identification to include with your application.
- Provide photocopies of proof of training.
- Proof of citizenship or eligibility to work in Canada (e.g. a Work Visa).
- Submit your application with all other documents, ensuring it is completed to an approved registry office or:
PO Box 1023 Station Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 2M1
If using a courier:
Alberta Solicitor General and Public Safety
9th Floor, 10365 97 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3W7
Please click here to access a copy of the Security Services and Investigator’s Act (SSIA) License Application. If you have trouble opening this document, you may choose to save the document to your computer and it will save and open.
To graduate from the investigator’s training course an individual must complete the 50-60 hour course.
Upon successful completion of an authorized professional investigator course an individual will be eligible to write the mandatory Solicitor General’s provincial exam. The Solicitor General Registrar will issue a certificate of completion upon passing the exam with 80% or better, after which an individual may apply for his/her Professional Investigator License.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes