Columbia has been preparing students to become Health Care Aides (HCA’s) since 2003, establishing a reputation for excellence within the industry and a record of successfully employed graduates.
Health Care Aides are a vital part of the healthcare workforce, providing essential health services and support with daily living activities for clients facing medical conditions or functional limitations. HCA’s operate under the direct or indirect supervision of regulated health professionals, such as nurses, in various settings, including hospitals, home care, assisted living, and long-term care facilities.
Upon completing our program, graduates are required to pass a provincial certification exam. Successful candidates are awarded Government of Alberta Health Care Aide Certificate, marking their readiness to enter this rewarding field.
Columbia’s Health Care Aide program aligns with the Government of Alberta Health Provincial Curriculum, ensuring a comprehensive and high-standard education.
Program Structure & Duration
The program spans 32 weeks, divided into two main components:
- Theory/Lab Sessions:
- Duration: 24 weeks
- Schedule: Monday to Friday, 4-hour classes
- Format: Engaging and interactive, combining theoretical knowledge with practical lab work
- Duration: 8 weeks
- Schedule: 8-hour shifts, which can be scheduled any day of the week, providing real-world experience in a healthcare setting
Support & Additional Learning:
- Supported Tutorials are available every Friday from 12 pm – 5 pm.
- Online learning activities designed to complement your in-class learning.
- Travel: Students are required to travel to various locations for their clinical and practicum placements, gaining exposure to different healthcare environments.
- Placement Availability: While placements are provided based on availability and every effort is made to accommodate students within the program’s timeframe, please note that in rare instances, a delay in program completion may occur until a suitable placement is secured.
Facilitator to Student Ratios
We believe in personalized education and maintain optimal facilitator-to-student ratios to ensure quality learning and individual attention, with ratios of 1:12 in the classroom/lab and 1:8 in practicums.
Scholarships and Bursaries
Up to $9,000 in bursaries available to Health Care Aides!
The Government of Alberta tuition bursary for students who are starting their Health Care Aide program is back and applications are now open!
- This bursary is provided by the Government of Alberta and administered by NorQuest College in Edmonton, AB. NorQuest reviews and approves submitted applications based on a student’s eligibility.
- Students do not have to attend NorQuest College to be granted the bursary. Columbia College’s students are eligible for the bursary.
Up to $9,000 (split into two installments) – on approval of Eligible Student’s Health Care Aide Tuition Bursary application form by NorQuest College and applicant signing a return of service agreement.
You will receive the first payment of $3,000 upon submission of:
- Proof of successful completion of courses one through five of the Health Care Aide Workplace Bursary Program.
You will receive the second payment of $6,000 upon:
- Successful completion of an Alberta licensed program, including the provincial final exam and submission of:
- post-secondary official transcript;
- or ‘certified’ status of enrollment into the Alberta Health Care Aide directory.
Regular Health Care Aide Tuition Bursary:
- You are enrolled in an Alberta licensed health care aide program that began on or after July 1, 2022.
- Preference will be given if you are attending a health care aide program full-time or currently working for an identified continuing care operator in a non-clinical capacity.
- You have submitted a Health Care Aide Tuition Bursary application form along with the supporting documents.
- You are willing and able to sign a return of service agreement with NorQuest College.
- Students can apply to any post-secondary institution with a health care aide program. Students completing the HCA ELL (English Language Learner) program are not eligible for the HCA Bursary.
For full eligibility details, visit: https://abhcabursaries.ca/health-care-aide-tuition-bursary-program.aspx
- Click Here: https://abhcabursaries.ca/health-care-aide-tuition-bursary-program.aspx
- You will be asked to provide proof of enrolment in a licensed AB HCA Certificate program
- Submit a return to service agreement.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions or need help with the application. We are here to help support you.
Plan your future with clarity with our transparent tuition and general fees structure, effective from August 1 each year. For detailed information about tuition, fees, and costs associated with the program please visit our Tuition and Fees Page.
In addition to program tuition and fees, students student may incur additional fees. The below fees are an approximation.
- Uniforms and duty shoes: $300
- Current Heart & Stroke Foundation Health Care Provider Level (C) CPR: $85
- Exam Fee: $200 (full exam fee schedule)
- Immunizations: $240
- N95 Mask Fit: $45
Refund of Tuition Fees
Please refer to the Student Contract of Tuition form for details of tuition refund policy. This form and more details regarding our refund policy are available from your Admissions Advisor.
Supporting your academic journey is our priority. Tutoring services are readily available for those who need extra guidance. Please reach out to your Program Chair or Coordinator to access this resource
To graduate from this program, students must:
- successfully complete all Health Care Aide courses
- achieve an overall program grade point average of 2.7 or higher.
- Upon completion of our program, graduates are required to pass a provincial certification exam.
- Successful students are awarded Government of Alberta Health Care Aide Certificate, marking their readiness to enter this rewarding field.
Graduates can potentially earn between $20 to $25 per hour as a Health Care Aide in Alberta, with opportunities for advancement and increased earnings as they gain experience in their field.
Equipped with the skills and knowledge to thrive in various healthcare settings. They play a crucial role in delivering compassionate care and support across a spectrum of environments, including:
- Acute care hospitals
- Long-term care facilities
- Group homes
- Assisted living facilities
- Home care services in the community
Diverse Roles in Healthcare
- Personal Care Attendant
- Nursing Assistant
- Nurse’s Aide Assistant
- Home Health Care Aide
Our current Practicum Partners include the following institutions:
- Alberta Health Services
- Age Care
- Bethany Care Society
- Brenda Stafford Foundation
- Intercare Corporation
- Covenant Health
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 1
- Assessments Yes