The Security Services and Investigator’s Act requires any person in Alberta who works in any of the security service positions listed below to have a license. To obtain this license an individual must complete a mandatory training program and write a provincial exam. The course outcomes for this training are intended to provide participants with knowledge and skills in their role and responsibilities as security professionals. Columbia College offers the Alberta Basic Security Training (ABST) course.
- Each participant will be provided with a course Participant Manual which complements the course materials, interactive discussion, and video-based exercises which make up this course.
- Upon successful completion of the 38.5 hour security training course an individual will be eligible to write the mandatory provincial exam.
- Online or in-person registration
- Offer 3 facilitator led courses per month
- Course fee: $299
- Course material and exam included in tuition if writing at our campus in Calgary
- The faculty member has over 20 years of experience working in the security industry
- Online or in-person registration
- Students attend live online classes
- Course Fee: $299
- Course materials will be e-mailed
- Exam included in tuition if writing at our campus in Calgary
- Faculty member has over 20 years experience working in the security industry
- Self-registration online
- Self-directed learning
- First 2 modules are offered at no cost
- Course Fee: $130
- Access to assistance is available if needed
- Students are required to pay an additional exam fee. See “Sitting Fee” for more information.
Getting Your License
- Take 1 passport-sized photo and two pieces of government issued identification to the police service.
- Have a member of the police service, peace office, or commissioner of oaths employed by the police service sign the back of your photo.
- Request an employment Police Information Check (PIC) to include
- Vulnerable Sector
- Local database
- Do not submit your application until you have received your final documents or are informed by the police service that the documents will be sent directly to the Ministry.
- Complete all sections of the application form (must be neat and readable) using a computer or print using CAPITAL letters only.
- Sign both part 5 and part 6 (police do not sign your application).
- Photocopy both sides of your government issued identification to include with your application.
- Provide photocopies of proof of training.
- Proof of citizenship or eligibility to work in Canada (e.g. a Work Visa).
- Submit your application with all other documents, ensuring it is completed to:
PO Box 1023 Station Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 2M1
If using a courier:
Alberta Solicitor General and Public Safety
9th Floor, 10365 97 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3W7
You may also use an approved Registry Office to submit your application and receive a 60-day temporary license. A copy of your official Certificate of Completion is required in order to use a Registry Office. It typically takes approximately 2 weeks to receive your Certificate of Completion from the Solicitor General’s Office in the mail. To access a list of the approved Registry Offices, please click here .
Please click here to access a copy of the Security Services and Investigator’s Act (SSIA) License Application. If you have trouble opening this document, you may choose to save the document to your computer and it will save and open.
The BC, MB, and ON governments have accepted the ABST online course as valid training and will be accepted to apply for your license in those provinces. Please see the information before for your province.
The BC government will accept training from Alberta only when accompanied with a valid security worker license from that province. In the case of Alberta, the security license must also read “certified”. This means that you must apply for your Alberta License first in order to then apply for your BC license. Information on this piece of legislation can be found at the following link:
The Manitoba Government recognizes the ABST classroom or online course as valid training. Once you have completed the course, successfully passed the provincial exam, and received your certificate you would just have to submit your certificate to be exempt from Manitoba’s mandatory training.
The Ontario government will only accept the classroom-based training in order to apply for a license in that province.
The following is a list of authorized proctoring sites/individuals as per the Alberta Solicitor General’s office. Any cost associated with using any of these will be the writer’s responsibility to pay.
- Public libraries
- Testing Centres
- Educational Institutions
- Active/Retired Teachers
- Licensed Professionals including Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants (CA, CGA, CMA), and Engineers, Realtors
- Active/Retired Police Officers
- MLA/MP Offices
- Sitting Fee at Columbia College for Columbia Online students $25
- Sitting Fee at Columbia College for students who completed his/her training at another provider $50
- The proctored exam fees are waived for those individuals who have taken the Columbia College Alberta Basic Security Training classroom-based course.6
To graduate from the security training course an individual must successfully complete the 38.5-hour basic security training course.
Upon successful completion of an authorized security training course an individual will be eligible to write the mandatory Solicitor General’s provincial exam and be issued a certificate of completion upon passing the exam with 80% or better.
Funding assistance may be available. Please visit an Alberta Works Labour Market Information Centre nearest you for more information. For more information about the funding, click Exposure Course Information.
Other funding options may be available. Contact the Security Services office at Columbia College for more information.
Columbia College is a certified testing center for the ABST mandatory provincial exam. See the following tables for exam times.
In Person Exam Proctoring Schedule – 2023
- Lectures 7
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes