Welcome to the Child Care Assistant Program at Columbia College, a pathway to achieving a Level 1 Early Childhood Educator Certificate.
With 78% of our students securing jobs in their field after graduation, our program stands as a testament to our commitment to quality education and student success.
Upon completing our program, graduates are eligible to apply for the Level 1 Early Childhood Educator Certificate through the Alberta Child Care Staff Certification Office.
- Duration: The program is offered in 2 program lengths, 48 or 32 weeks.
- Age Focus: Children from birth to 6 years of age.
- Goal: You’ll receive education that prepares you for becoming a skilled and valued childcare worker in Alberta.
Highlights & Skill Development
This program focuses on key areas like communication, observation, and child behavior, delivered though interactive learning methods such as discussions, research, role plays, and hands-on experiences. You will gain increased confidence and practical childcare skills.
With the job search strategies learned in our program, you’ll feel more prepared to enter the job market. You’ll also learn industry-specific terminology, computer skills, and professional conduct, which improves your workplace readiness and employability in the childcare sector.
To enroll in the Child Care Assistant program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Alberta, or have an address in the city of Lloydminster.
- Be unemployed or underemployed.
- Show a commitment to seeking employment after program completion.
- Fulfill citizenship or residency requirements, such as being a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Convention Refugee, and be legally authorized to work and train in Canada.
Courses at Columbia College are taught in Canadian English. To enroll in the 32 or 48 week program, applicants must meet the English language entry requirements below:
48 Week Program
- CLB 4
- English Gr. 5
- Math Gr. 4
32 Week Program
- CLB 5
- English Gr. 6
- Math Gr. 5
- Obtain satisfactory scores in Columbia College’s assessment of reading comprehension, writing, and mathematics
- Complete a computer skills evaluation (or its equivalent) at Columbia College, covering basic computing, internet, email usage, and an introduction to Microsoft Word.
- Successfully undergo an interview with the Career and Employment Coordinator to assess program suitability.
In their final semester, all students must request a Police Information Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Search. The results must be submitted to the practicum host employer.
This program is funded by Government of Alberta, Foundational Learning Assistance. Students may be eligible to receive financial and childcare assistance – Contact us to see if you qualify!
This program is funded by Government of Alberta, Foundational Learning Assistance. Students may be eligible to receive financial and childcare assistance. Please contact Columbia College at 403-235-9300 for further details.
Tutoring is available to students who have fallen below the minimal pass rate.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be eligible to receive:
- Certificate of Completion from Columbia College (must achieve minimum course requirement of 70% or higher in each course)
- 5 Alberta Education Post Secondary Credits
- Invitation to Columbia’s Convocation Ceremony
Additional Certifications (if applicable)
- Standard Childcare First Aid and CPR
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Environmental Public Health: AHS Classroom Course in Child Care
- Nourishing Beginnings
- Module 1: Supporting Young Eaters and
- Module 2: Learning Together with Food
Level 1 Early Childhood Educator Certification Readiness
- The Level 1 Early Childhood Educator certificate awarded by the Alberta Government is not provided by Columbia College.
- Graduates must submit an online application after graduation and electronically submit their Alberta Education post-secondary education transcript along with the application
According to the ALIS Website ,the starting salary for Early Childhood Educators and assistants is $15 to $21 per hour, with opportunities for advancement with experience.
You’ll be prepared for a career in early childhood education in a range of roles, such as Bus Attendant, Child Development Assistant, Day Care Worker, and more!
A Job In High Demand
Early Childhood Educators and Assistants is an occupation with a forecasted labour shortage of more than 1,000 workers by 2028. Click Here For more information on Alberta’s Occupational Outlook
Employers of Columbia Graduates
BrightPath, Calgary Board of Education, Columbia Childcare Centre, NurtureCare Early Learning Centre, Southland Transportation, Willowbrae Academy, YMCA, and other licensed daycares in Calgary and surrounding communities.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes